As many of you already know, in December 2022 we were dismayed to learn that the yellow paint that was used on the exterior of some of our Preschool Bunch Bikes - sold from April 2020 through December 2022 - did not meet the safety standards for lead content in paint. All our other paints and finishes were subsequently tested and are absolutely safe.
We take this situation extremely seriously. Safety is our top priority, and that includes every aspect of our bikes and your bike life. We know that under normal circumstances, children likely wouldn't be able to ingest the paint; nevertheless, this isn't something our families should even have to think about, now or 25 years down the line.
We deeply apologize for the hassle and worry that this recall may have caused you, and we've done everything we can on our end to learn from it and ensure nothing like this happens again - from retesting all of our paints and finishes at an independent facility to updating the specifications that we use with the factory that produces and paints our panels. We are grateful for the patience, kindness, and warm support of our Bunch families.
We have reached out to every owner of an affected bike via email, text, phone, and postal mail. We have successfully made contact with 97% (as of August 23, 2023) and completed the replacement process for 91%. We are continuing to follow up with the remaining 9% to ensure the affected panels will be replaced.
Affected owners will receive a replacement panel set for their bikes, updated hardware and seatbelts, and detailed instructions. We will pay for a bike shop or mobile mechanic to complete the replacement for you. If you prefer to do it yourself, we will provide you with a toolkit as well.
We ask that all affected owners complete this form to ensure we have updated shipping information for your panel replacement set.
Please find the formal press release below:
Release Date: March 31, 2023
Release Number: 23-01
Bunch Bikes Recalls The Preschool Electric Bicycle Due to Violation of the Federal Lead Paint Standard; Lead Poisoning Hazard (Recall Alert)
Name of Product: The Preschool Electric Cargo Bike
Hazard: The paint on the recalled electric bikes contains levels of lead that exceed the federal lead paint ban, posing a lead poisoning hazard. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health issues.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled Preschool electric bicycle and contact Bunch Bikes for free replacement wood panels. Bunch Bikes is contacting all purchasers directly.
Consumer Contact: Bunch Bikes collect at 940-536-0597 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or online at bunchbike.com
Units: About 150
Description: This recall involves the Preschool front-loading electric cargo tricycle that seats up to six children on bench-style seats in the passenger area. The recalled bikes are painted with a yellow exterior and black interior color with a high-gloss finish. The recalled bikes have the Bunch logo on the side of the passenger box and were sold as The Preschool 2020 edition starting in 2020, The Preschool and then The Preschool 3.0. The rear half of the frame uses rectangular tubing and the handlebars are mounted on both the left and right side of the passenger box.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Sold at: www.bunchbike.com from April 2020 through December 2022 for about $4800
Retailer: Bunch Bikes Inc., of Denton, Texas.
Manufactured in: China (wood panels)
Individual Commissioners may have statements related to this topic. Please visit www.cpsc.gov/commissioners to search for statements related to this or other topics.
About the U.S. CPSC
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risk of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product-related incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products has contributed to a decline in the rate of injuries associated with consumer products over the past 50 years.
Federal law prohibits any person from selling products subject to a Commission ordered recall or a voluntary recall undertaken in consultation with the CPSC.
For lifesaving information:
- Visit CPSC.gov.
- Sign up to receive our e-mail alerts.
- Report a dangerous product or a product-related injury on www.SaferProducts.gov.
- Call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054).
- Contact a media specialist.